Land and Environment Court of NSW

Compensation for compulsory acquisition of land

The NSW government has power under various statutes to acquire land compulsorily. The public authority which acquires the land is obliged to pay just compensation to the person whose land has been acquired. 

The amount of compensation may be agreed by the person and the authority. However, if there is no agreement, the Valuer-General determines the amount of compensation. The authority must give the person a notice of compensation entitlement and offer the amount of compensation determined by the Valuer-General.

If the person is dissatisfied with the amount of compensation offered by the authority, the person may lodge an objection with the Land and Environment Court. The objection is allocated to Class 3 of the Court’s jurisdiction. The Court decides the amount of compensation that will justly compensate the person for the acquisition of the land.

More information

Information is available on the following links:

Need legal advice or information?

In NSW, there are a number of places where you can get specialised legal advice on the sorts of legal problems heard by the Land and Environment Court. Find out where to get legal advice and information

Fast track ...

Need to know how to lodge an objection to compensation for the compulsory acquisition of land? Go to  Class 3: valuation, compensation and Aboriginal land claim cases - Claims for compensation for compulsory acquisition of land.

Image of the inside of a tunnel
Building a tunnel
Last updated:

08 May 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top