Land and Environment Court of NSW

Access for people with disabilities

The Department of Communities and Justice is working towards providing better access to court buildings and facilities for people with disabilities.

What we can do to accommodate you

We aim to make any adjustments that may reasonably be required to accommodate these needs. Examples of reasonable adjustments we can make include:

  • arranging for an infra-red hearing loop to be available on the day of a court hearing
  • enlarging a document for a person with a vision impairment
  • providing documents in alternative formats for people who are blind
  • transferring court proceedings to an accessible courtroom for a person with a mobility impairment
  • serving a client with a hearing impairment in a quiet public location
  • explaining information in plain English and asking for feedback from a client with an intellectual disability to ensure their understanding.

What we need to consider

We will endeavour to tailor our adjustments to suit the individual as we appreciate that each person will require different assistance. Not every request for an adjustment from a client with a disability will be reasonable. However, we will consider all adjustments requested and consult with a manager before refusal.

To ascertain if an adjustment is reasonable we will:

  • consider if the adjustment is achievable
  • consider Occupation Health & Safety requirements
  • not make promises we are not sure we can meet
  • not breach rules or regulations to make an adjustment
  • let you know if we have to check with the manager if we are not sure an adjustment is achievable.

We cannot not:

  • physically lift a client up or down stairs as this may result in risk to us or you
  • make any requested adjustment that would put our safety or others' safety at risk.

How do you request assistance?

You can download, fill in and submit a Request ​for Court assistance form to let the the Court know what access you require and what support you intend bringing to a particular hearing. 

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing impairment, call 133 677 to contact us through the National Relay Service.

For more information: 

Last updated:

24 Nov 2022

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top